I am talking directly to you…
You will often encounter situations in life that require you to make decisions. I am not talking about strategic or financial decisions, but about life situations. And sometimes, it will involve people and sometimes you’ll end up hurting someone. If you ask me, my advice would be this:
- make your decisions based on how you feel. Don’t make it out of despair or because you’re being pushed by something or someone. It may be easier said then done. But don’t live life blaming things or others. A choice is a choice. So own up to it, being the adult that you are.
- you could spend time writing the pros and cons. But to be honest, you already know deep down what you want. Don’t make up excuses for it. Just get on with it.
- Sometimes it requires time to make a decision. And sometimes you don’t have much time. Trust that the decision you make is the best one at this very moment. Don’t live life with regrets. Don’t look back and say I should have done this or that differently. You can’t. Just take responsibility for your decisions.
- If you end up hurting someone, know this: The more you try to explain to them why you didn’t choose them, the more you actually hurt them. Because it’s like repeating and writing a whole book about why you don’t choose them. It’s like slapping them in the face over and over again. To be honest, the reason you are doing that is because you want to clear your conscience and feel better about it. That’s a selfish act…
- Also, if you stand behind your decision because you think it will make you happy in the long run, trust that the people who care about you will understand eventually, even when they’re hurt right now.
- Don’t live life saying I have no choice. Whether it’s hard or not, nothing is more disempowering when you say I can’t do anything about it. You choose at each moment where you are standing. You either choose to stay where you are and make the best of it or you choose to get out. It may be something as easy as choosing to change your mindset… Always make it a choice where you stand.
For me, this is part of being the best version of myself:
- I am responsible for my own happiness
- I don’t live life with regrets
- Each decision I made was the best I could make at that very moment
- I own up to my decisions. Once I make them, I stand by them, no excuses, no explanation needed.
I truly only wish for your happiness…